The W.T. Garner Engine Company No. 1 has been providing Wappingers Falls with continuous fire protection for over one-hundred and seventy-five years. Originally organized as the Franklindale Fire Company in 1837, Garner Engine was one of four (Cohoes, Gernerville, and Newburgh were the others) given a new coal-fired and steam-operated fire pump through the generosity of William T. Garner, the owner of the large Dutchess Print Works complex. This new Steamer, mounted on four wheels and drawn by a team of horses, was a big advance over the hand operated and hand pulled "Resurrection" engine in previous use. In gratitude the company renamed its self in 1869 in honor of Mr. Garner.
The first home for the new steamer, along with the two-wheeled hand drawn hose wagon with about 500 feet of 2 " fire hose, was in a building erected by Mr. Garner on lower Market street directly across from his main office. The Dutchess Print Works also provided a stable for the horses and a hose wagon large enough to carry a supply of coal, extra fire hose, and rubber coats, boots and helmets to the fire
The new steamer saw action for the first time when fire erupted at the Faulkner barns on lower Market Street. Under the expert care of James Gilmore, a boilermaker at the Dutchess Print Works and the engineer in charge of it at all fires for several decades, the steamer served Wappingers Falls well from 1869 to 1918, a period of 49 years, when motorized equipment replaced it.
The motorized equipment, a LaVerne chemical and hose truck without a pumper, ultimately proved unsatisfactory because the firemen, unable to pump water from other sources, had to rely solely on hydrant water pressure. However, in 1929, village officials replaced the LaVerne with an American-LaFrance combination pumper hose truck. During the 1920's, village officials also purchased the old firehouse for the village, and in 1940 bought a plot of ground on the south side of West Academy street from the Clapp estate. Here, a two-story, brick fire company headquarters with all modern equipment was erected.
The first floor of the new building held spaces for two pieces of firefighting equipment and also had a reading room in the rear. Two large bay doors allowed the engines easy access to the street. A kitchen, dining room and storage area were built in the basement, while the second floor contained a large meeting room. In 1969, more space was obtained by an addition to the back of the building
In 1957, the village replaced the American-LaFrance pumper with a new version of the same make, one with greater pumping capacity and better equipment. Ten years later, the village gave the company a new 75-foot aerial extension ladder truck, now housed at the West Academy Street station. This ladder truck has been especially valuable to the men of both Garner Engine, and Johnson companies because it enables them to fight fires on the roofs of the shopping plazas and the higher buildings along Wappingers Falls Main Street much more easily.
A new Pumper on a Mach chassis, able to hold 500 gallons of water and pump 1250 gallons per minute, was purchased in 1976 and greatly increased Garner Engine Company's firefighting capabilities. However, it also presented a problem because there were only two bays at the West Academy Street Station. As a temporary solution the American-LaFrance was housed at Johnson Fire house, but once the old incinerator at Franklindale and Clap Avenues was renovated in 1978 as a satellite building for Garner Fire house, the American-LaFrance was kept there.
The three pieces of equipment were eventually reunited under one roof in 1985, when a three bay addition to the West Academy Street station was completed. Dedicated to Edward "Zip" Pardee on April 4, 1985, two of the building's bays face Route 9D and one faces West Academy Street. Two years later, in 1987, Garner Engine Company celebrated its one hundred and fiftieth anniversary. In 1990, extensive renovations turned the two original bays at Garner Engine Company into a large recreation room, an Officer's room, and two bathrooms. One year later, village officials helped Garner engine acquire a new LTI-110 foot ladder truck with a 1500 gallon per minute pump, a 200 gallon tank, and a seven man cab. The new truck was dedicated to Robert "Rope" Traver on November 2, 1991, and still diligently serving the Village of Wappingers to this day.
In 2005, village officials helped Garner Engine acquire a Custom 2004 Rosenbauer Pumper on a Spartan chassis, capable of holding 1000 gallons of water with automatic Class A Foam application, as well as a 1750 gallons per minute pump, and an eight man enclosed cab. This new purchase greatly enhances Garner Engine's ability to aggressively fight fires. This piece of Apparatus is still in use today.
As W.T. Garner Engine Company moves toward the future and its one hundred and seventy fifth anniversary, its members are just as motivated as ever to proudly serve the residents of the Village of Wappingers Falls. Our ranks are growing and there is only a positive future for the members of W.T. Garner Engine Company. All members go above and beyond the call of duty to volunteer their time to people in need. W.T. Garner remains to be an outstanding organization with a reputation of loyalty and dedication. As our motto says we are "Always Ready".
Wappingers Falls Fire Department
25 West Academy Street, Wappingers Falls, New York 12590, United States
We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.